Naturally, manually editing .config was just a temporary workaround. I prefer my projects to build correctly straight out of source control. The configuration system is a bit much to reverse-engineer, so I just ask the group how to configure a board. I get advice, and also the maintainer updates project’s wiki/docs with the instructions since were not already there.
I also switch back to building the ‘nsh’ application (from ‘ostest’) since I am beyond testing the os and want to get interactive.
I also edit board.h, up, autoleds.c, netduinoplus2-internal.h to adapt for the on-board LED. The LED is my first peripheral ported, haha.